A Steampunk Christmas Card

Have you ever heard of Steampunk?  Whilst I was aware of films like "Wild Wild West" and the stories like "Captain Nemo" and so on, I didn't really know it was a style until just over a year ago when we attended Ironfest in Lithgow and found hundreds of steampunk devotees.   Steampunk is kind of steam age Victoriana that had taken a different timeline.  The fashions, vehicles, weapons et al are highly decorative in the Victorian style  ... with a strong influence of all things cogs and clocks as steam power is its driving force!      Thus, when you see something decorated with cogs, you assume "ahhh, steampunk!"

This year we attended Ironfest again and went in themed clothing, my youngest being the closest to steampunk (I was more Victorian and my husband more Edwardian).  The number of people in costume had risen dramatically and you can't knock good, clean fun :)

Therefore when I came across this stamp I thought it would be the perfect addition to the stamp collection so here is my first play wih it.


Looking like an old account ledger it has cogs and christmas decorations and tickets in one corner.   I stamped it on "river rock" colour Stampin Up cardstock in brown Stazon, and watercoloured the leaves and tickets in a few colours of Stampin Up green inks.   There were some holly berries but they had stamped brown and it was hard to get the red ink colour to come up over the top, so I opted for a red rhinestone instead.   I added a little brass cog on top of one of the stamped cogs for added interest.



For an inside sentiment I dug around until I found something that looked vintage - I believe this stamp is Kaisercraft. 


Before adhering the inside panel and the front panel to a cream card, I sponged around the edges with Early Espresso Stampin Up ink.   Staying in theme, I thought I should do a matching sort of envelope as the card would look out of place in a pristine white envelope.  I had a linen look cream envelope which I sponged to match and stamped with a portion of a larger cog stamp.


Is Steampunk your thing?

Till later,
Annette

Comments

Popular Posts